History of Harding Academy
The Academy first began in 1952 as Memphis Christian School in the Highland Street Church of Christ building. It was initiated through the efforts of many dedicated Christians who envisioned a school where the Bible could be taught along-side academic subjects. Mrs. Worth B. Powers was the first principal.
In 1953, the King Mansion was purchased and the school moved from Highland Street Church of Christ to the mansion.
In 1957, Harding College in Searcy, Arkansas, assumed control of the school and the name was changed to Memphis Harding Academy. The following year, the high school moved to the present building at 1100 Cherry Rd.
From 1964 to the present, Harding has been in 15 church locations. We remain at White Station.
Separating from Harding College in 1978, the Academy became an independent school under the direction of its own board of directors. Also at that time, the Academy took on its current name, Harding Academy of Memphis, Inc.
In 1991, the Little Harding Cherry Rd. program, now Early Childhood Cherry Rd., was initiated to serve families of 2- and 3-year olds looking for a strong early childhood development program in a positive, supportive Christian environment.
In 1996, the Academy opened the first stand-alone elementary facility in Cordova at 8350 Macon Rd. The Early Childhood Cordova program was started in January of 1997 in the north wing of the new building.
On August 12, 2001, Harding expanded the Cordova campus with the addition of a 54,000 square foot building to house grades one through six. This building, at 8360 Macon Rd., is adjacent to the first stand-alone campus, which now houses the Harding Early Childhood and kindergarten programs.